The positions under our jurisdiction represent a wide variety of careers in areas such as Health and Human Services, Sheriff’s Department, Motor Vehicles, County Clerk, Public Works, etc. Most jobs in government fall under the Civil Service System. Different positions have different requirements and a different exam tailored to fit the requirements of that position. COMPETITIVE positions require that you compete in an examination process for selection by merit and fitness. You must also meet the minimum qualifications, complete a Tioga County application for employment, pay the application fee, take a civil service test, score among the top 3 candidates and interview successfully to be considered for a permanent job.
The following types of positions do not have a test requirement, but you would need to complete a Tioga County application for employment, meet the minimum qualifications, and interview successfully:
- EXEMPT - positions where the hiring agency decides the qualifications of applicants and chooses the person they want to hire. The process is similar to that found in the private sector.
- NON-COMPETITIVE – positions have either licensure, education, and/or experience requirements that you must meet. Employers choose from among the qualified people who apply.
- LABOR CLASS - Employers may choose anyone for these jobs
You are welcome to apply for any examination we expect to give in the near future, for any current vacancy, or for our files for general consideration. Examination announcements and vacancy postings are available on our website; at the Tioga County Civil Service Office; and at many Tioga County department offices, village and town clerks, post offices, libraries and schools.
The following types of examinations are given:
- Open-competitive – can be taken by any individual who demonstrates that they meet the minimum educational and experience qualifications cited on the exam announcement.
- Promotional – restricted to current employees of the participating appointing authority who meet the service requirement and minimum qualifications as cited on the exam announcement.
- Continuous Recruitment – refers to those examinations for which applications are accepted on a continuous basis – there is no deadline by when an application must be received. The scores for these examinations are filed with existing candidate scores to form a constantly changing eligible list. Your name remains on the list for one year.
If you require "Special Arrangements" for examination due to religious accommodation, disability or military service, please submit this request along with any substantiating documentation by the exam deadline date.
If you have signed up for an examination that you are qualified for, you will receive an admission notice in the mail 7 – 10 days prior to the test date. It is your responsibility to report to the test site according to the date, time and place listed on the admission notice.
Approximately 2 –3 months after the examination is given, all candidates will be notified by mail of their score, and candidates with passing grades will be placed on the eligible list that is created for that position. Job openings for that position are filled from this list by the hiring agency, choosing one of the three highest scoring candidates willing to accept the job. An eligible list remains active for 1 – 4 years, depending on the examination given. It is the responsibility of the candidate on the existing list to keep abreast of the expiration date of an eligible list and upcoming exam schedule, and to apply for and participate in the new examination.
Candidates and applicants are responsible for notifying this office of a change of address. You must complete our change of address form, which is available online or can be sent to you upon request by calling our office.
Tioga County is an Equal Opportunity Employer