Child Protective Services
The local CPS Unit is the unit responsible for investigating reports of suspected abuse/neglect and may utilize other agencies as needed. Law enforcement may assist in investigations as necessary or when a criminal act is also committed. Preventive services to prevent placement in foster care are also provided by the Department of Social Services.
The duties of Child Protective units include:
1. To receive reports from Albany 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
2. To start some form of investigation within 24 hours.
3. To assess whether or not a report is true or false (founded or unfounded) within 60 days.
4. To offer and provide protective and preventive services to families.
5. To use Family Court when necessary.
The State Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment, located in Albany, may be called toll free at 1-800-342-3720, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to report suspected abuse or maltreatment.
Click Here for More Information: NYS Child Protective Services